Website Templates: Customizing Website Templates
to Fit Your Needs
Using website templates can be a great timesaver.
Unfortunately, using a widely available template
can result in your website looking exactly like
your competitor's site. If you don't have the budget
to hire a professional graphic designer, you can
customize website templates to fit your own unique
needs and help you stand out from the crowd.
- Adding your logo to the template will make it unique to your business.
- Changing the colors to match your company logo
is a quick and easy way to alter the look of website
- Changing the illustrations or photographs used
in the template will personalize the design. Whenever
possible, avoid using stock photography or clip
art in website templates. It's better to take photos
of people in your organization or business.
- Menu options and navigation links can be altered
to fit the needs of your website. You can either
change the wording of the navigation links or move
the position of the menu.
- Combining elements from two similar website templates
will result in an original design.
- Create a mirror image of the template. For example, rotate all the elements so that everything on the left side now appears on the right side of the template.
Microsoft FrontPage comes with a selection of templates
for you to use on your website. Many companies also
offer professionally designed website templates
for you to purchase. You can even type "free website
templates" into Google or any major search engine
to find a wide variety of template sources.
When you're using website templates, remember that the template is merely a
suggestion to help start your creative juices. Don't
be afraid to add your own special touches to the