Promotion: Basic Website Promotion Techniques
With the advent of free website hosting services
and software that eliminates the need to know HTML,
building a website is easy. Website promotion is
another story entirely. There's so much information
available that it can be hard to know where to start.
Luckily, there are a few simple tips that can help you increase traffic to your site.
Make sure your site is finished before you start
your website promotion efforts. Visitors who see
an "under construction" sign on your website are
unlikely to return.
- When you're building your site, use META tags and appropriate keywords in your titles and body text. This will make it easier for search engines to classify your site.
- The most basic website promotion technique is
to use frequent content changes to increase the
amount of return visitors that come to your site.
Update your site on a regular basis and people will
gladly come back to see what's new.
- Reciprocal links, putting a link to another site on your page in exchange for them linking to your site, can help you gain visitors and increase your position in search engine rankings.
- The easiest form of free advertising is to use
an e-mail signature with your website address at
the end of every message you send. If your site
is for your business, make sure your web address
is on your business cards, company letterhead, and
anywhere you'd normally include your phone number.
- The most important form of website promotion is
submitting your site to Yahoo and other major search
engines. However, don't waste your time submitting
to obscure search engines that won't get enough
traffic to make a difference in your web site promotion
efforts. Most Internet users will stick to the major
search engines for their web browsing.
- Website promotion is an ongoing process. Analyzing
your server log files will help you determine what
search engines and keywords people are using to
reach your site. Many Internet service providers
offer free software tools to help you analyze this